MMG staff are experts in Incident Investigation (II) and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) consulting, and can assist or lead your organization in these processes. An incident investigation and root cause analysis (II/RCA) process should enhance organizational learning, reduce accidental losses, aid in wise investments of protective and mitigative systems, better protect people and equipment from harm and continuously improve Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) performance
Your company likely understands the criticality of getting near misses reported. With a good near miss reporting system, loss reductions of more than 90% have been achieved. However, not all near misses need full investigation. MMG can help your company identify a system for determining which cases to fully investigate and save your company precious time and resources. One way to determine which cases to investigate is to let front line foremen or supervisors decide based on the apparent Learning Value of the incident. The foremen or supervisors can easily decide based on their hands-on experience. For high learning value incidents, investigate now. Low learning value incidents can be put in a database and investigated at a later date, if necessary.
The overall II/RCA process consists of the following steps:
- Data collection – collecting, organizing, and preserving all relevant data as quickly as possible after the incident has been stabilized. Data comes in the form of personnel interviews, physical evidence, and documentation.
- Causal factor analysis – organize and analyze data to determine what happened (i.e., determine the chain of events [causal factors] that led to an undesirable occurrence)
- Root cause analysis – For each identified causal factor, use a combination of the “5 Whys” and a Root Cause ChartTM and step down to find the root cause(s).
- Develop recommendations – develop recommendations to remedy each root cause of each causal factor
- Reporting and follow through – Simplify the reporting of the investigation/RCA results to the bare minimum needed
MMG can help your organization perform II/RCA assessments at various levels or settings, including:
- Coach newly trained II/RCA leaders
- Lead an independent investigation to ensure you are getting all the problems at your facility
Why Choose MMG?
Customization to Client’s Needs MMG finds the best approaches to Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis to fit your specific needs and company culture. We deliver the highest value of service by customizing what we do to each client’s need.
Industrial experience of our providers Each of MMG’s experts has many years of implementation experience as they worked in the chemical and related industries before becoming consultants and external trainers. Many other consulting companies will sell you services and training from “experts” who have only ever been consultants. This is of little value to you compared to using consultants and trainers who have learned what works and doesn’t work by actual experience in settings similar to yours.
MMG Conducts Meetings with Speed & Efficiency. Because of our vast experience of performing IIs/RCAs, and with our hands-on expertise in the best software, we can lead meetings faster than anyone else, while maintaining quality/thoroughness. This saves cost for you and your projects.